Saturday 16 November 2013

Rewindable Learning via TeachMeetNZ

Earlier this year I was fortunate to take part in the very first TeachMeetNZ session. An online event, a meeting of minds for educators to share a nano presentation on something that is topical to the presenter. These sessions in New Zealand are coordinated by Sonya van Schaijik (@vanschaijik) that sprouted from her investigations into the Hyper-connectivity of educators with digital technologies and are part of a wider global movement of connected educators.

The presentations take place live via a Google Hangout and therefore are recorded, so if like me you miss the actual event you can watch the presentations again and again to grasp concepts or follow up on points of interest. Prior to the event Sonya has several practise sessions to make sure you feel comfortable with knowing how to join the hangout, share your screen, turn your camera and microphones on and off - plus she has a template that can be utilised to help frame your presentation. Once you've been a presenter you also get the priviledge of sharing the TeachMeetNZ badge on your blog.

I was keen to participate in the very first TeachMeetNZ because it was a new platform that we were all trying and experimenting with.  Sonya wasn't sure how it would go and I'm so pleased that it has now had it's forth session - with a breakout session being hosted by PE New Zealand teachers too using the TeachMeetNZ online space also.  This proves the power of hyper-connectivity that Sonya planned to achieve.  Personally I was pleased to synthesise my understandings from my 2011 study leave with my thesis research on teaching as inquiry.  It was a great opportunity to put my ideas together concisely in only three minutes to introduce the concept and explain my research findings with my summary diagram.  Further information on the concept of teaching as inquiry can be found on my wikispace (http://digitallearningnz.wikispaces.com/Teaching+as+Inquiry).  Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss my ideas further.

TeachMeetNZ has now had it's fourth event and all events can be viewed at www.teachmeetnz.wikispaces.com - Each presenter has a page with links to their nano presentations (9 slides @ 15 seconds/slide for a total of 3 minutes). I enjoy being able to watch the presentations when I'm available (timing wise for example today's event was mid afternoon and I was out with my family). So what better way to spend a Saturday night now that it's very late with the family all tucked in their bed but to continue to learn! There are currently 20 interesting presentations on this site, so go on... discover the learning possibilities of a TeachMeet by either watching an event or volunteering for a future event!

 My TeachMeetNZ page and presentation:


1 comment:

Sonya Van Schaijik said...

Justine, great to read your reflection on the process of being part of TeachMeetNZ. Wonderful to see your badge linking back to the evidence of your presentation. You were part of that first team that worked so closely together collaborating to solve challenges. Do encourage some of your teachers to share their inquiries next year via TeachMeetNZ.